So after my post on BATCH COOKING I said I’d post a couple of recipes for the Iranian Dishes I made … and here is the first one … Taachin … its basically a chicken and rice dish and happens to be one of Perry’s favourites … the recipe is my Mum’s and its delicious … so here goes …
- 2-4 chicken breast fillets (skinless)
- 1 onion
- 2 tsp turmeric
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 mugs of rice
- A Pinch of Saffron mixed in a quarter glass of boiling water and left to one side
- 3 tbsp of Yogurt (a thicker greek style yogurt works best)
- 1 Egg
- Cook the Chicken breasts with the roughly chopped onion, salt, pepper and turmeric in approx 2 cups of water. Put the lid on the pan and leave to cook for about 20mins on a medium heat.
- Cook the rice in salted water until about half cooked 8-10mins. Once half cooked drain and leave aside to cool.
- When the chicken is cooked remove from the pan and shred or cut into thin slices. Keep the cooking liquid and onions for later.
- Mix the yogurt, egg and safron mixture together.
- Add the rice back into the pot you cooked it in and mix with the yogurt mixture until evenly distributed.
- Now you can either use one large dish or several small foil trays to assemble the dish. Using the foil trays means you can freeze the dish in pre-portioned sizes and have them on hand for quick dinners when you want them, otherwise one larger oven proof dish is good if your planning on serving immediately.
- Spray or wipe your dish with a little oil and spoon in half your rice mixture into the bottom (split it up over your foil trays if you are going with that option we had plenty of rice for 4 medium two portion foil trays).
- Then spread the chicken pieces evenly over the rice.
- Cover with the rest of the rice mixture and spread evenly.
- Spoon the juices and some of the onions from the cooking liquid over the top.
- Put in a warm oven around 180 Degrees Centigrade for about 40-45mins. If cooking from frozen it will take about 45-60mins at the same temperature.
- Once golden brown on top and bottom (it helps if you have a glass dish to see this) it is ready.
This one seems like it has a lot of steps but in actual fact its really quick and easy to do … Let me know if you try it out … 🙂
Till next time …